While there are no less than fifty services of this type, the new Feedly seems to be preferred by many users who are looking for a new RSS reader.
Google's announcement about the shutting down of the Google Reader, on the first of July, opened the way to competitor services. Among them, the young start-up Feedly.
Created in 2008 and relying on the eve of the announcement of Google Reader's shut down, Feedly recorded 500 000 new registrations in 48 hours and three million in 15 days.
Of course, to welcome the new users, the start-up was not satisfied with only announcing that they were welcome Feedly created a new update - version 14, with the inclusions:
- Improvement in the search engine, which indexes 50 million feeds and integrates the results of Google News and YouTube
- Possibility to choose the « Must-read » among the feeds, so as to make sure not to miss any news coming from user's favourite feeds
- The integration of a sharing button to Google+ and LinkedIn, and additionally, to Facebook and Twitter.
- Taking into account the reading preferences of the user, the reader makes suggestions about feeds.
- Addition of a titles-only interface.
- Addition of a refresh when dragging the list of categories (ordered alphabetically) downwards.
- A feature for article safekeeping.
The former users of Google Reader should, therefore, not miss out. Besides, Google facilitates the transfer of the users toward other services by offering them to download a copy of their data.
Apart from Freedly, other alternative feed readers exist. To name a few, there is the famous Netvibes, The Old Reader, Yanob Reader, but also Yahoo Pipes - an effective tool for monitoring and information processing.
But, it is necessary, however, to follow what is going to happen at Google, which announced that a replacement service – called News – will be offered.
- Weeshiz, a personal assistant to ease your everyday life
Our everyday lives are not always easy to organise. Although the 4-Hour Workweek is not tomorrow, but today there are online services to help you manage and reconcile your work and...
- Tripilli, a Genius Way To Travel The World
Audrey and Clement first met in Arles, a charming corner of France. Both passionate about travel, they decided to live in Montreal for three years. The two co-founders embarked on...
- Tumblr, the most popular blog hosting service
When a young David Karp launched his brain child, in 2007, it immediately started to gain a loyal following and raised into the same stratosphere as Twitter and Facebook....
- How to Find an Effective Name for a Web
Here are some ways to overcome this challenge in stages and successfully launch a website or a startup. With more than 2 billion Internet users worldwide, potential visitors are...